Wednesday 1 July 2015

F.O. – Ribbed Wrist Warmers.

Original pattern – from art of knitting
image
Image of the Original Design from Art of Knitting
Originally the plan was to just knit this cute pair of handwarmer and be done….
image
Close Up of the Pre-pattern instructions from Art of Knitting
Take 1 – Pretty much following the pattern
Because I had the DK in red I thought I would have a go with that. It gave me a  chance to check to see if this pattern in standard fit my hand. I have pretty large hands and really long fingers!
image
Front of the Glove
image
Back of the Glove
image
Side of the glove
For me, this pattern is a little bit long and a little bit loose around the hand.
The thumb hole needs to be a little bit shorter.
While at work I started thinking patterns could make this a little more visually interesting and fit more snug to my hand.
So I opened my notebook…
image
image
So suddenly this has become a little bit of a development project…
Take 2 –  Full length ribs – Which I deemed awesome enough to knit a pair for
So initially I thought I would try out this ribbing idea.
I decided to go with a 2 x 2 ribbed pattern. Casted on 44 stitches again as that seems to fit well around my arm.
Row 1: k2, p2 etc
Row 2: k2, p2 etc
Row 1
Row 2.
Row 5: k2, p2 etc.
Row 6: p2, k2 etc.
Currently its looks like this:
image
Going to make it slightly longer than the first one as well. About another 3 inches long (about where the pen line is on my hand).
image
This pattern seems to be currently progressing well. Although slightly concerned that it might not be wide enough….
The most difficult bit is the ribs around the thumb. Currently producing mixed results….
image
image
Opps… will attempt a fix with a needle later on that hole…
Managed to get the first wrist warmer done in a night. I got slightly focused/addicted…
image
image
A slight hole. But I did repair this with a needles and some matching wool. So you can barely see it now.
image
I learnt a lot from doing that first one. Felt really proud of myself for getting it finished! I need to work on the thumb and keeping the tension when increasing the stitches.
Glove 2
Didn’t do a rib around the bottom on this one. Although that should be included in future replicas as it stops it rolling.
All ribs 2 x 2. Like the second version better where the rib encircles the thumb instead of following it up. Looks a lot neater. I then also added ribbing around the thumb when I got to the point of just knitting the length of the thumb (rather than knitting rows to increase stitches). It sits tighter to my thumb and is a lot more practical as it finishes just below the joint.
image
image
I’m really pleased with the ribbing pattern. It just looks really cool. I also have plans to knit a scarf to match. So 3 guesses what everyone in my family is getting for christmas this year…. I’ve found my speed and accuracy has really increased over the course of the 2 gloves and the second one came together really fast.
The wool for the next incarnation of the gloves with the self striping wool is here. But I am going to have to put knitting on hiatus for a week as I need to finish a book I promised I review for a friend. Unfortunately it’s now yet an audiobook so it’s not a chore I can double up.
Yarn Addict Signing off
MrsKirstyHoll
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this blog. Would you like to see more of this type of posts? What did you like most about it?