Wednesday 11 February 2015

Netflix UK recommended watch list - Feb 2015

Whenever I finish a series on Netflix UK, I suddenly find myself at a loss. What do I watch next? Do I watch a documentary or a thriller?





So for when you next have the "What shall I watch now?" moment I have put together a recommended list! All these series are live on Netflix at the time of writing.

1) House M.D 

House is the Sherlock Holmes of the medical world. He, with the help of his diagnostic team, is able to solve the 'impossible cases', If I was seriously ill, I would definately want him treating me.

However, for all his medical brilliance, House has huge social issues. Netflix has all the series of House online, so you really get the time to understand his character.

I had watched random episodes of House on the T.V. - but watching all the series made for some fantastic TV.



2) Fringe

I discovered this on Netflix. It was probably suggested due to my love of crime dramas. But this crime drama has a serious twist.

The interesting point comes in with the implementation of the concept of alternative universes. As you move through the series there are other characters introduced that threaten the fate of both universes.

With the recent addition of series 5,  you also have the completion of the series. It does not leave with the same feeling as 'Lost'. I really enjoyed the finally of Fringe and it's worth a look.



3) Gossip Girl 

This was something I wasn't sure about trying out. However, it kept coming up as a suggested series to watch. So I finally gave in last year.

The concept of the series is a society fictional series with a twist. At the beginning of the first series the characters are in an exclusive private High School. There lives are shadowed, and enriched, by an anonymous blogger who details some of the secrets of Manhattans Elite soceity.

Some of the details the blogger is able to gather on their own, but most of them are sent in by anonymous tips. Through all the series, you watch the group grow up and their interactions. You also see a hidden depths to what originally appears to be some very shallow characters.

At the end of the final series the identity of Gossip Girl is revealed. For the full shock of this reveal I recommend watching all the series. It's really worth it.



4) Warehouse 13

This is just the most amazing series concept. Again, it was suggested because of my love for crime drama.

The concept behind this series is that most of the mythological items etc are actually real. They have been hidden by a secret agency in warehouses with infinite space. It's got some amazing drama and the characters are really likeable.



5) House of Cards

This is a Netflix original drama. It's inspired by a drama that aired in the UK in the 1960's following the rise of an MP. I've seen the UK version and I personally find the US version better.

This version introduces you to congressman Frank Underwood and his wife. He's a ruthless man with an aim of furthering his career - but not leaving stuff to chance. What I really love is their use of 'breaking the 4th wall' - where the main character talks directly to the audience. It means the audience completely know what is going on inside of his head as he schemes his way through.

The best bit is that series 3 is arriving on Netflix at the end of March 2015. So you have plenty of time to catch up!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this blog. Would you like to see more of this type of posts? What did you like most about it?