Monday 9 February 2015

9 Feb - What I Found on Facebook Today

1)

Pay per minute, not per drink, at Manchester's new coffee shop - by Lauren Davidson 






Once I read this article I had to share it with you. The article is looking at a social space cafe. You can use everything in the space for free - including the consumption of food and drink. Instead you pay for the time you spend there. The organiser's aim is not to make money - it's the creation of social space cafe. 

I would love something like this in my local area. Personally, I love this concept. I work really well in a social space and it would be great to have something like this go to that opened late. The trouble with traditional concept of a coffee shop is it does not open late. Pubs, which are usually full of drunks and loud groups of people in the evening, are just not a great place to work. 



2)

I honestly read this article and nearly wet myself. In my personal opinion, if you cannot tell the difference between daffodils and onions.... seriously you have problems. 

Although I had never wanted to eat daffodils, but until I read this I hadn't realised that they were poisonous. 



3)

Ever since the publication of the paper in the Lancet in 1988 by Andrew Wakefield there has been parents afraid of vaccinating there children (1) . This study was proved to be fraudulent. It was done on a tiny number of children in a tiny time frame. The whole thing was completely bias towards proving that their was a link. 

What this complete idiot obviously didn't realise was the consequences of his actions. The concern of parents not wanted to risk their children 'getting autism' has out off a significant number of parents getting their child vaccinated. This was linked to an outbreak of Measles (one of the infections protected by the MMR vaccine) in Swindon (2013). 1200 people fell ill - although luckily there was only 1 fatality. 

Ref
(1) 


4)

Have you watched the TV series or read the books? I have watched the entire TV series and thoroughly enjoyed it. Off the back of this I have picked up the first book in a charity shop. I'm about a 3rd of the way through and finding it is taking more effort to motivate me to read it. 

The article is really worth a look at. Basically, the original typewriter typed letter to G. R. R Martin's publishers before he had properly written his first book. I won't try and explain it is much more interesting to read the article. But it's always interesting to see the inner workings of another aurthor's mind. You will also notice that the characters that he writes of are still important characters in the tale - although some elements of their plot may be slightly altered. 



5)
Personally I love this bit of history. It's such an interesting time politically and just generally interesting. If you are a fan this period of history check out Wolf Hall on the BBC IPlayer - all the episodes so far were up at the time of writing. 


This is why I love the internet! So much content and I don't have to leave the house. 

Did you find some interesting articles this week?

Comment below! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this blog. Would you like to see more of this type of posts? What did you like most about it?