Sunday 1 March 2015

New years resolutions. Feb 2015: Craft update





Feeling rather proud of myself. I have actually managed to continue this resolution into February! 





During my day job I spend the majority of my day glued to a computed screen. So I find crafting a great way of unwinding. In addition, because I usually end up learning something new, I sustain the internal drive to do something productive during my spare time.

If I do say so myself, this month craft wise has been rather productive. :)

Project 1: Scarf

I can happily report that the scarf has actually progressed! 

Week 1 - I admit, I was still struggling with the knitted patch squares so the scarf got forgotten about again (Sorry to my husband!). 

Week 2 - I can now happily report that 10 additional lines of knitting have progressed onto this scarf! In addition, I have also finished the 4th ball of wall and am now knitting with what will be the final ball of wall of the project! (I think I deserve a glass of wine). I think I might treat myself to a bottle of bubbly when this damn (beautiful) scarf in finished! 




Project 2: Sewn patchwork quilt

Week 1: 
Based on my own suggestions from last month  I have actually drawn myself a line sketch pattern from the original Pinterest image.


Unfortunately, the quilt didn't progress any further. 

Project 3: learning to knit

For those of you who don't know, I have subscribed to the magazine 'Art of Knitting'. Each magazine comes with a ball of wool and a pattern for a square.

Onto the second square of the throw. This is my first attempt of ever doing the stocking stitch. To do this you have to alternate 1 row of pearl stitch and 1 of garter stitch. What happens if you do 2 of one by accident is the line effect seen in my first attempt.

As you can see I also did not bother to count the stitches as I went through. I learnt my lesson though and this led me to a more successful square. Where you have to be careful is when you swap between knit and pearl stitches in the same row. I had not actually realised I had to move the wool from one side to the other when I swapped between stitches. Life was easier once I worked this out.



I also progressed onto the really funky third square - the chequerboard stitch. Having now worked out how to swap between the knit and purl stitch this was easier than it could have been. The overall effect also looks pretty cool.


In addition to the squares, I also thought I'd have a go at some of the project patterns. I was rather pleased with my egg cosie. However, I can't get my head round why anyone would want to make an egg cosy? I have never had problems with cold eggs. Would make a really cute easter gift though.




On another note, my neck has been rather warm this month! With a set of 10mm needles and some chunk wool I have managed to make a rather cool Chunky Cowl for myself. Another project from the #artofknitting . Although I did find that the free needles were a bit short at 23cm, so I have brought myself a longer set. I'm thinking Christmas presents...



Project 4: Cross stitch Harry Potter Monopoly

Again, my resolve has weakened and I have started yet another craft project. Oppss....
One of my friends found this fantastic pattern from this very talented ETSY trader. I would put a link, but it's not available on Etsy anymore. 


The Monopoly Pattern - What the whole pattern should look like
The Huge 50" x 50" Aida piece

And so it begins....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this blog. Would you like to see more of this type of posts? What did you like most about it?