Friday 27 March 2015

Crafting and Homeware ideas from Social Media that work







*BOOK MARK THIS PAGE - I WILL UPDATE AS I FIND NEW IDEAS* 


I love Pinterest, It's an app on phone that streams hundreds of ideas to me every single day. Makes me feel like I'm being productive.... even if I don't do anything with them but pin them to one of my hundreds of boards.

In addition to this, there are a huge amount of Craft pages on Facebook I follow which offer me up hundreds of ideas. Some of which I love to have a go at and try out.

This is a blog that I will publish but keep updating with any ideas that I do actually implement and their actual effectiveness/awesomeness.





Craft

Quilting Projects

I am always on the lookout for amazing ideas to recreate. Eventually I had enough quilt ideas that I couldn't help but start a new project.

Follow Kirsty's board Quilt inspiration on Pinterest.



This was the pattern that caught my interest.

This pattern only works if you draw yourself out a line pattern to organise your fabrics. Trying to work this out freehand and sewing together isn't worth the time spend unpicking. Trust me. Here is the one I drew out:


I scribbled a name of each fabric cross I could make with the fabric I had onto here. It gave me the chance to ensure that the colours wouldn't clash. 

Ideally, I want this to have a decent thickness. So I'm going to double up some wadding between 2 white sheets. This will allow me to secure the wadding and have something secure to sew the patchwork too. I have another piece of fabric for the back that I brought on holiday in Portugal in June 2014. Any excess white fabric can be used as a border. 

Photo update 1



Currently it's looking like this - I'm slowly adding some length. It's going to be a double size quilt I think when it's finished. Which is exactly what I wanted :)

Apart from the shape there is absolutely no theme to this quilt! 




Easter Bunny (Knitted)

I saw this adorable pattern on my Facebook feed this week :) Now my husband has challenged me to knit 10 to hide around his safe-zone at Drone Airsoft. So that is my evenings sorted for the next week :)

Also has the perk that he is buying the wool and I get to knit something. So that is definitely a win.

Will update when I have completed them!

So this is my first attempt at a bunny. Colours were my husbands choice. 

This has given me a chance to work out the pattern.

I'm using double knit wool with 3mm needles. 35 stitches across. 62 rows. Knit stitch. Finished with a 2.5cm pom-pom. Then sewed on eyes an nose with white stitches. 

Black seems a little dark.... possibly also put a little too much stuffing inside.

UPDATE: All bunnies are now finished :)

Any thoughts on the colour scheme? 






Knitted Blanket

Having finished the bunnies, I found myself with lots of spare wool - and some cool ideas for colour combinations.

Recently I've found this idea for knitting a blanket on a set of circular needles.




This idea was from: purlbee.com
If you want to try this blanket pattern and have no wool - check out their website. She recommends so wool she describes as washable :)

The original pattern is for a child size blanket. But this comment discussion got me thinking.



Having now had some experience with knitting on larger needles I invested in some 7mm circular needles with 120cm length. I'm about 8 rows in and they are working really well for me.


You can buy them from amazon here. 


The chunky knit blanket lengthens a lot faster. Ideal if you are looking for a relatively short term project.

I'm creating an adult size blanket for the lounge. I cast on between 170-185 stitches (I didn't count and just kept casting on until it looked long enough.....). I'm hoping when I finish it will be a couple of meters wide.

Picture Update 1




Picture Update 2












Currently it's looking like this:










Home-wares + Improvement

Bathroom

I use mouthwash every single time I brush. So a plastic bottle of which ever mouthwash was on offer is always sat on the shelf above my sink. The only trouble is that it is not very pretty.

Then I saw this:



It's so simple and much more attractive than the current arrangement. I also remembers that I have a couple of beautiful and unused whisky decanters that I picked up for £1,99 in a charity shop. The pourers and shot glasses were brought off amazon. So I spent less than £5 extra and ended up with this: 


Much more attractive than a plastic mouthwash bottle.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this blog. Would you like to see more of this type of posts? What did you like most about it?