Monday 10 August 2015

WIP - Patchwork Update - August 2015

I know it's taken a week to finished square 17. I'm sorry.... In the process of packing I've managed to find my husbands Nintendo DS and a copy (long unused) of Pokemon Diamond. After ordering a replacement charger (who knows where that's gone) I've spent some time training my Pokemon. Does anyone else have this guilty pleasure?
So, back to knitting (can we describe this as a guilty pleasure too? Please discuss...), I've finished Square 17 (woop!). I wasn't too sure of the double moss stitch initially, but I am really starting to like it. This green is something that is also really growing on me.
Square 17 - Double Moss Stitch square.
Square 17 - Double Moss Stitch square.
With all these squares completed, I thought I would give you all a combination shot with all the other squares. I'm loving the colour and pattern combinations. I managed to find some floor space between the boxes (we're in the middle of packing) to grab the shot on my camera.
A combination shot with all the squares so far :)
A combination shot with all the squares so far :)
Here's a few close up group shots for you. As you can see they need some blocking and sewing in. But I'm planning on doing all of them at once at the end. I know that's going to take an age. But by then I should have my own craft room and space to get on with it. Although I will need to get a mini ironing board for the task I think.
DSCF8299DSCF8300DSCF8301DSCF8303
I've finally got a decent overall image of what the blanket will look like when it will be finished. I prefer their idea. The lines of grey and white alternating with the colour looks really funky.
A preview of what the blanket will look like when it's finished.
A preview of what the blanket will look like when it's finished.
I've been making my way through  square 18 during my lunch breaks this week. I love the effect of the basket weave.
image
I'm also really loving the colour!!
So next is this amazing chevron pattern:
image
I've never knitted anything with this colour effect. So this could be interesting...
image

Can't believe this is square 20! So I think this is the last of row 2? I have no idea of the final dimensions of this blanket. But it feels like a good milestone :)
I am up at my grandparents this weekend. It does mean though that I have abandoned my husband at our new house for a few days. So hopefully he might do some decorating while I am away?
Although I do feel a little guilty.... but it does give me some knitting time. I managed to knit most of square 19 on the way up here. In all honesty I thought changing colours mid row would be more difficult than it was. I was really pleasantly surprised and I really enjoyed knitting this square!
image
In light of my progress on my knitting, my grandmother has also very kindly donated all of her old needles to me. She originally taught me to knit garter stitch when I was 7 (so all this is her fault!). But she used to be a very talented knitter and I'm pretty sure all my jumpers as a child were knitted by her.
image
I'm going to have to have a think about how I'm going to store them all at home....
So square 20. Basketweave in white. With all this time (between walks to Hardwick Hall - pictures to follow!) I'm hoping to get this one finished ASAP!
image
image
As predicted, I managed to get some serious knitting groove on this afternoon and managed to finish square 20. I think it's a really cute pattern. But it's not very easy to see in the photographs when knitted in white.
image
I managed a nap this afternoon (after a run and then long walk this morning) and then headed out to the local charity shop. Which was lucky as I managed to find this huge ball of white acrylic aran wool for £2.99. It's 400g. So any suggestions as to what I should do with it are more than welcome.
image
I also found this cute green linen DK for 59p. I have no idea what I'll use it for... but I have a craft room to fill up with my stash.... :)
image
For square 21 I'm getting started on this teal square. It's called a mock rib pattern - I love the effect :)
image
image
I've been knitting and I have managed to finish a new square. I'm definitely thinking that my speed is getting a lot better. Swapping between pearl & knit stitch is suddenly becoming much easier.
The colour for this one is teal - would love a jumper or top in this colour. It's beautiful!
image
image
Mum was sat next to me while I knitted this and came up with the awesome idea of using this pattern for a cushion. I'm thinking this could be a very cute idea.
Square 22  is the seed stitch square. We're now moving into grey and the pattern is pretty simple. So something for the afternoon. But I'll get away with combining it with an audiobook.
image
image
I'm having a knitting day. It's really fun :) I'm feeling seriously chilled out and productive.
Here's the finished square:
image
It's a moss stitch square. Personally it's something I would like to have a go at this in a chunky wool (possibly that aran wool I brought yesterday) in a scarf/ hat.
I celebration of this finish I cracked into a kinder surprise egg (which had caught my eye in coop yesterday because it's a minion one!). This is the cute toy from inside....
image
image
I'm going to take a bit of a break with a coffee. But I'll get on with the square 23 later or on the way home tomorrow.
image

After a very exciting week painting and moving, I thought I would update you on the next square I have completed.
This is the little ladders stitch square in what looks to be a mustard yellow....
image
This was finished while I was up at my grandparents. It led to my grandfather sharing an anecdote about his mother - who I've never heard very much about.
Apparently she used to knit for a time. However she didn't use patterns and measured her knitting by holding it up to the person she was knitting it for.
So she decided to have a go at knitting my grandfather a vest top. If was in this stitch - which is what reminded my grandad. However, when she came to finish it, it was so large that my grandad and his father could fit in it at the same time. They both laughed (which was a bit mean!) and she vowed never to knit anything for them again. Which is sad.
In proof that this same stitch hasn't bested broken me - I've made a start on square 25 - the banded broken rib square.
image
This square is a totally new stitch. Which is really exciting :) This is what it's going to look like finished *fingers crossed*
image

Yarn Addict Signing off

MrsKirstyHoll

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this blog. Would you like to see more of this type of posts? What did you like most about it?